Followers

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Our Precious Baby Boy

Hello Everyone!
Well, the moment we've all been waiting for arrived on Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 at 11:08 PM. Connor Daniel Ratliff entered the world, via c section, weighing 8 pounds, 3 ounces, and measuring 20.5 inches long. I have not had a second to talk to anyone, update this blog, or even check my Facebook account or email, and I apologize for keeping some of you waiting on pictures of Connor! It's so funny...everyone says how much your life changes when you have a baby, and they could not be more correct - what they don't tell you is just how wonderful the changes are and even more so...just how amazing the process of birth is! I can't believe I ever thought life was complete before Connor! I have to say that labor was a breeze for me and honestly the best day of my life! For those of you who think I'm being sarcastic, think again. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had. After arriving at the hospital at 6 AM, my Petocin drip was started around 7:50 AM. I was fortunate enough to have my wonderful husband and his father at my side, during a time that was a little bit scary. The Pitocin was increased at a rate of 2 ml every 15 minutes until we reached 19 and things really began to happen. I progressed well and enjoyed every step of the process. Dr. Samuel met us around 8:50 AM and told me that he wanted me to get my epidural before he broke my water and that as soon as my contractions were coming consistently and strongly, he would break my water, which he did around 11:00 AM. The epidural was wonderful and I can honestly say that I did not feel any intense pain during labor. I had more pain the Saturday night before when I had prelabor all night long. I was so blessed to also have my friend Misty Spangler in the room with Jason and I. She is also a professional photographer and got some AMAZING shots of the entire labor and birth - however, since I've not been on the computer or anything, I do not yet have those pictures to share with you - those of you who are friends with Jason on Facebook have probably already seen those pictures :) Our families were all there and I got to visit with everyone before it was time to push at 8:00 PM. We worked and pushed like the best of them. It was awesome - an AMAZING feeling to know how strong your body can be! I pushed for 2 hours (a little more maybe) when Dr. Samuel and the nurse let us know that Connor was not really progressing past +2 station (he had to be at +4 to be born). Dr. Samuel suggested a c section, as we had discussed, but said that we could push longer if we wanted to. Of course, I was bound and determined and decided to push a little longer, before relenting. Misty and Jason were AWESOME labor coaches and did a GREAT job of helping me push (although I can recall talking to them quite sternly about counting a little bit faster at times) ;) However, in the end, Jason and I prayed and decided that it was time for us to give up all control and take the advice of our wonderful medical team and have that c section. So...Misty and Jason scrubbed up and we headed down to the OR where Connor Daniel was born at 11:08 PM. I would say that it was the most amazing moment of my life, however I truly believe it was the most amazing day of my life and cannot reduce it simply to a moment. I felt so at peace all day and cannot explain how amazed I was at the things my body can do and how much I could enjoy the process, due to pain control. I know that many of you were worried about me having a c section because I was so against it for so long, but it was a great decision and I would not change anything about that day...the day all mine and Jason's dreams were fulfilled. Jason and I had an AWESOME experience at Bristol Regional and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. All of the nurses, doctors, interns, and anesthesiologists were WONDERFUL! We had so much fun with them! At one point, after the c section, I was thanking each member that helped with the procedure, (while in the OR) and asked to take each of their hands as I thanked them for taking part in the best day of my life, and Jason laughed because he said they all thought it was the drugs talking! Since I only had an epidural and some medication for nausea, I don't know why they thought that, but I really hope they all knew how much their kindness meant to me. I guess they just don't hear many compliments from a woman who just went through 15 hours of labor prior to having surgery! We were released from hospital on Saturday, 8/15. Connor's pediatrician, Dr. Makres, was concerned because Connor had lost 1 pound in the days since his birth (he was then 7 lbs 3 oz) and his billireuben levels were very high (at 15). Connor was also somewhat tongue tied at birth and Dr. Makres clipped the skin under his tongue to correct this and prevent any speech therapy bills in the future :) On Sunday, Connor's weight was up to 7 lbs. 8 oz. and his billireuben levels were at 17.5. Dr. Makres told us if they went up to 20, Connor would have to stay overnight in the hospital, under the lights, to lower his levels. On Monday, Connor's weight had increased to 7 lbs. 11 oz. and his levels dropped to 17 and Dr. Makres said he stabilized and would no longer have to return to the hospital for blood draws. I had to return to my doctor due to a bladder infection and my staples were removed from my incision on Monday, 8/17. Other than the pain from having a major abdominal surgery, I am doing well. I did lose an extraordinary amount of blood due to the long hours of labor and then surgery, and narrowly escaped a transfusion, thank goodness, however, my iron levels are very low so you'll see that I'm not looking great in these pictures :) The doctors have told me it will take some time to get back to "normal" and I am eating very well (all healthy veggies, fruits, and meats) and taking supplements from the doctor to decrease my recovery time.
Here are some pictures of Connor's birthday. I have soooo many more, but like I said, my life and priorities have completely changed and I have a beautiful baby boy to love on right now. We cannot thank you all enough for your prayers and encouragement during labor and delivery. God has been so good to Jason and I. Throughout everything, we have remained calm and known that we are so loved and cared for by God and that everything will be okay. What a wonderful feeling. I have never felt as at peace as I have felt since we began the induction on Wednesday morning.
This picture was taken around 6 AM on Wednesday morning...before it all began...

This is a picture of Dr. Samuel, as he delivered our Connor...the very first glimpse Jason and I got of our beautiful son!

My wonderful family...

My Connor and I just after the c section...

My wonderful husband and our son...


I will post more pictures later, but like I said...right now I have a boy to love on!
Love,
Jason, Kellee & Connor

No comments: