Followers

Saturday, August 8, 2009

38 Weeks and Connor's On His Way!

Hey Everyone! Jason and I had a doctor's appointment Friday, 8/7, which included our last sonogram with Connor. They wanted to see if he was still measuring large - and (as I could have told them) he is! He is measuring at around 8 1/2 pounds (plus or minus a pound). The sonogram went pretty well - one concerning issue is that his left kidney was swollen, however the doctor also noted that his bladder was full (they usually empty their bladders every half an hour) and they think that it could have most likely been from his bladder being full and spilling into his kidney. Dr. Samuel said that since Connor has never had this issue before, he is not concerned about it and at most Connor might have to have an ultrasound on his kidney right after he is born. We met with the doctor right after the sonogram and he checked my progress and said that I had not progressed since last week (very surprising) so I am still at 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced. As he checked me, Dr. Samuel striped my membranes to hopefully increase the chances of labor over the next few days. He also told me that he wanted me induced next week (at 38 1/2 weeks) due to Connor's size. He said he wanted to avoid a c section if at all possible and due to Connor's size he would have to try this next week. He informed us that he is on vacation next week, but wanted to schedule a day that he would come into the hospital so that he could deliver Connor. So we are set for induction at 6:00 AM on Wednesday, 8/12, if we don't have him earlier than that. Dr. Samuel told us that there is a chance that Connor might have slight lung problems, however since he had the 2 betamethazone shots, he was very optimistic and wanted to go ahead and start the labor half a week early. So, Jason and I are a little bit worried and ask for your thoughts and prayers that Connor will be okay. I never wanted to be induced, but I have to trust my doctor and do what he wants to do because he knows what's best for all involved. However, I would really appreciate your prayers especially considering the kidney and lung issues :) Dr. Samuel again told me that he is really hoping I go into labor on my own prior to Wednesday and thinks that striping the membranes will help. So we will see! I'll keep you all posted! Oh - and on a happy note - during the ultrasound, Connor was sleeping, sucking his thumb. Well, he jerked himself awake and lost his thumb and we watched him using his little tongue to lick everywhere, trying to find his thumb again, which was actually right next to his face...he never did find it before falling back to sleep - but it was CERTAINLY the highlight of the sonogram to watch his little tongue licking all over the place - he is ADORABLE!!!
Here are some pictures of week 38 - the last week of pregnancy!



This is a picture of the birth poll at Jason's work - this picture was taken a couple of weeks ago so not every date was taken yet...not the case now :) Everyone's still wondering who will win!
Funny story to the next picture (of Michael Jackson) - apparently this picture was on the dry erase board next to the poll...Our good friend, David, noticed this and moved the picture of MJ across the board and told everyone that he did not want Michael Jackson near Connor! I thought that was funny!


We can't wait till the next post and will hopefully have pictures of our amazing miracle!
Love,
The Ratliffs

No comments: