Followers

Saturday, June 6, 2009

This Past Week's Events and Updates...

Hello Everyone! We hope you are all doing well! Jason and I have had quite a busy week! It started last weekend with Jason's cousin, Brittany's graduation from high school and ended with a surprise baby shower thrown for Jason by his awesome friends at Holston Home for Children!
I'll give you all an update on Mommy and Connor before narrating the pictures :) We had quite a crazy week...again! This week marked week number 28 and that is a milestone for lung development! I was scheduled on Tuesday, 6/2, to have my Glucose Tolerance Screening Test (GTT) for Gestational Diabetes, as well as the first of 2 steroid shots to help give Connor's lungs a boost in case he decides to surprise us early. All went well on 6/2 and I was told to return on 6/3 for the second shot, which they made sure to tell me HAD to occur within 24 hours of the first shot. So I returned Wednesday morning, early, and anticipated a 10 minute visit...not the way it happened. Turned out that the nurse called me back to tell me that I had failed my GTT screening test and that while levels should be between 65 and 100, mine were at 175. WOW. Was I ever shocked. At the time, I thought that this meant that I had done something wrong or eaten poorly, however I have since learned that it is due to the crazy hormone levels that are caused by pregnancy and my body's inability to regulate my glucose levels with insulin. This should not have been surprising to me as just prior to becoming pregnant, my reproductive endocrinologist tested me for Insulin Resistant Diabetes due to the condition I have been diagnosed with - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
SO...I was instructed that I would have to come back on Tuesday, 6/9, for a 4 hour GTT test. I was a little upset at this point because like I said I was blaming myself and could not figure out how I could have ended up in this situation. And THEN I was sent to Labor and Delivery to get the second shot for Connor's lungs because my doctor's office had run out of the serum. Unfortunately I then ended up being monitored for about 3 hours due to a lot of contractions the night before. Shew - what a DAY! Needless to say, I did NOT receive the second steroid shot 24 hours after the first - more like 27 1/2 hours later! HA! Jason and I have learned a lot about Gestational Diabetes since Wednesday and are prepared for the test this week and whatever outcome we get!
Ok - now onto the pictures!
These are our 28 week pictures! Next week's pictures will show the newly painted walls of Connor's nursery!
On Saturday, 5/30, we went to Jason's mother and step-father's house (Jo and Greg) to open some baby gifts before heading to Brittany's graduation party!



This is really cool - it's a blanket that Jo told us was knitted for Jason before he was born. She explained that at the time, they lived in the infirmary on the college campus, where they were enrolled and the nurse that worked there during the day knitted this blanket, which she has now passed down for Connor!


These are pictures from the graduation party! This is Brittany, the new graduate!
Greg, Jo, Brady, Brittany, me & Jason

On Wednesday, 6/3, Jason's work decided to throw him a surprise baby shower! Here are some pictures of Jason with his work friends and lots of goodies for Connor!






More pictures to come from our exciting weekend of preparing the nursery!
Hugs and kisses!
The Ratliffs

No comments: